Monday, November 13, 2017

Writing Prayers

Four weeks ago, I finished The Devotional Challenge Book, by Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller.  The Devotional Challenge is a 16-week workbook that guides a Christian into the daily habit of hearing and praying God's Word.  

Although I've finished the workbook, the challenge continuesI now use the book's teachings to shape my devotions. For each day, I've printed Bible readings (a chapter and a Psalm) and questions that help me pray for myself and others. 

Part of my devotional time is also spent writing a five-line prayer, based on the day's readings and my own struggles.  Week 15 of the workbook gives a "how to" on this.   

I initially thought that writing a daily prayer would be work and take too much effort.  But, I gave it a shot, and I've written a daily prayer ever since. 

The surprising part of putting my prayers to paper is...no matter that day's readings, or my struggles...I'm always confessing my sins, looking to my Lord for provision, rejoicing in Him, and praying to love and serve others.

Here's a few of my prayers with the readings for that day: 
Lord Jesus - my high priest,
You have been made perfect forever and live to intercede for me.
Help me to take all my sins to You and all my struggles,
Knowing in confidence that You answer and give me your peace,
As You are seated at the right hand of the Father and have sent the Holy Spirit to live with me.
From Hebrews 7 and Psalm 35  
          **********************************************
My savior, my Jesus,
You bore my burdens out of love for me.
Help me to love others and bear their burdens and not grow weary.
And as I walk by "this rule" to know your peace and mercy.
As You sit at the right hand of God the Father and are both one with the Holy Spirit.
From Galatians 6 and Psalm 45 
          ***********************************************
Lord God, my Father,
You surround the one who trusts in You with steadfast love.
I confess that I am often like a horse or mule - needing a bit and bridle to stay near You.
I pray for You to forgive the iniquity of my sins.
In the name of Jesus who died for me and in the power of the Holy Spirit.
From Titus 1 and Psalm 32 
          ************************************************

For anyone who may be hesitant and think, "I'm not ready for this" - Pastor Wolfmueller dedicated the workbook "For the Catechumens of Hope Lutheran Church."  If it's doable for children and teens, it's doable for you.

And daily engaging with God's Word and writing notes and prayers, right beside the chapters and Psalms...it's good, it's worth it, I look forward to it every day.

Thank-you Pastor Wolfmueller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment