Monday, April 10, 2017

Who is this Jesus?

In his introduction to The Whole Christ, Sinclair Ferguson poses this question which he says is the most fundamental question of all: 
Who is the God whom we come to know in Jesus Christ (John 17:3)? What is he really like, truly like - deep down, through and through?
As I read the book, I kept thinking about that question.  

For me, spending time with someone, whether family, friends, neighbors, church members...that personal connection is my avenue for knowing what a person is really like. 

I've been intrigued lately that God was often living among us.  He walked in the garden with Adam.  He visited Abraham.  He spoke to Moses in the burning bush, and was with the exiled Israelites in cloud and fire.  He dwelt with His people in the Holy of Holies, both in the tabernacle and the temple.

And then...Jesus...God comes to us embodied in man.  Blows your mind that our Creator cares and loves us so much that He became one of us.  

But, What is He really, truly like? 
...though he [Jesus] was in the form of God, [he] did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.  And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Philippians 2:6-8
Again, all the characteristics that make God who He is...and a man living it out...perfectly.  

And not only that, Jesus also "lived out" the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, and the many aspects that entails - as a prophet, as a priest, as a king.  He was the Good Shepherd, and also the Lamb of God.

At the end of his gospel, John says:
Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.           John 21:25  
Ferguson's book dealt mostly with aspects of salvation, so I started making notes to answer the question, "Who is this Jesus?"  Then I remembered that passage from John.  As John suggests, I don't think I can ever grasp it all or that books could ever contain it all. 

This I do know...my Jesus, is the One who has "searched me and known me" (Psalm 139:1).  He "satisfies the longing soul" (Psalm 107:9 ).   He is the "lover of my soul" who died for me.  And...remarkably...still wanting to "live among us" He sent His Spirit to live within me.  And, what all that conveys...I'll just have to keep finding out and "getting to know" from Him and His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment