Monday, May 1, 2017

His Nametag said Bruce...

I love that Walmart workers have name tags. I still remember the day, many years ago...the store was crowded, and we chose Bruce's check-out lane because Bruce was fast.  While it may seem out-of-the-ordinary to become real friends with a store cashier, that day was the start of our friendship.

Over the years, Bruce and I talked about many things, including family and faith, and what ails us.  Sometimes our conversations were casual and sometimes they were more personal, on a deeper level. 

I was surprised and excited to find out that Bruce played both the piano and the organ, and was the organist at a Baptist church.  My youngest son also plays the piano and was soon to start organ lessons.  I gave Bruce a Lutheran hymnal, and he said that the Baptist songs he played were more upbeat and lively than the Lutheran hymns.  We laughed.

Bruce often spoke of his daughter and was proud of her.

I remember when he told me that he'd lost his son some years before...then he said, "You should always have a spare."  That gave me a different perspective and a greater appreciation for the sons God has given me.  I think of that often and of Bruce's pain in his loss.

A few years ago near Christmas, I gave Bruce a thank-you card.  And I told him, "You minister to people here."  I'm not sure he believed me, but I meant it.

Sometimes, when he hadn't seen me in awhile, Bruce would say, "Where you been?  I haven't seen you lately?" 

Last week, as I was leaving Walmart, I looked for Bruce, thinking I hadn't seen him in awhile.  The next day, I read the notice for his funeral.  

I already miss seeing Bruce.  I miss his smile; I miss his service; I miss his voice.  

But we do not grieve as people who have no hope.  1 Thessalonians 4:13
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
 

No comments:

Post a Comment