Monday, May 14, 2018

To Become Like Children

Our morning devotion last week was on Matthew 18.
At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  Matthew 18:1-4 

As we discussed the passage, I was surprised to hear three very different responses to "What does it mean to become like children?"

Two of the answers were:

1. Children faithfully trust in their parents to provide and care for them.  To become like a child in faith would be to trust in God's care, without anxiety or doubt.

2. Children are often undisciplined, get into trouble, and need direction. The Christian is weak, gets into trouble, and looks to God for guidance and authority. 

Hey - that works.  Now I know how to become like a child.  Done!

Yeah, right... 

The truth is, I like to be in control and do things my way.  I put a lot of faith in myself, in my ability to care for and provide for myself.  

Didn't God give me skills, intelligence, and talents?  I don't need His guidance, authority, and certainly not His discipline.

And when something "goes wrong" in my plans, I get anxious and worry.  At those moments, moments when I should have faith, I don't have childlike trust in my God.

However, the third response to our discussion brings this all together:

3. Children are needy; they require someone to meet their every need. 

As human beings, whether children or adults, we're all in need.  And we need "Someone Greater" to supply all our needs. 

I've learned that, despite my work and success in life, I'm helpless.  I have to trust and rely on my God to provide my daily needs - from the air I breathe, to the clothes I wear, to the food I eat, and every other need in between - He provides it all.  

And, if that's not humble enough...I need the cross, I need His forgiveness.

I have no ability to keep even one of the Ten Commandments.  
...as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God.  All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” Romans 3:10-12
If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?  Psalm 130:3
And I do trust in Him for my salvation - I have no other choice.  I know that, in an instant, circumstances in life can leave me undone, and my reaction would be to sin.

My only hope, my only source of comfort, mercy, and forgiveness is to be a needy child, in need of my Lord.
Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.  Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment